Monday, April 26, 2010

Chronicles Of A Shoe-Obsessed Bride, Part 4

Alright, I know it wasn't very nice of me to tease you by not showing you my DIY wedding shoes in my last post, but I wanted to build up to the big reveal! :)

And I think I'm going to do things a little differently with this DIY reveal, usually I like to show the 'how to' steps first, and then show the final product, but I think it will make a little more sense to show off the fabulous shoes first, and then do a follow up on how to make them. Sound good?

Ok then! So, to answer my own question from the last post, I was inspired by a combo of the Viktor & Rolf shoes with the fabric flowers all over the shoes, and the Nina shoes, with the big flower on the ankle of the shoe. After looking at them more and more, I sent a picture of the shoes to my mom and sister, in an e-mail titled something like "Am I crazy, or could I make something like this myself?" And so I did, with a lot of help from my mom.

Here they are, my ribbon flower wedding shoes!


Eeeeeeeeee! I'm so in love with them! They are so unique and purple and flowery and gorgeous!

Want to see what they look like on me? I took some pictures with the webcam on my computer this weekend for you. (And also found out that my rehearsal dinner dress and after party dress I bought last fall are sadly too big now. So I'll only show the pics of the after party dress because it has a sash that I could just tie tighter and cinch it in, so it looks alright. The rehearsal dinner dress needs some alterations, or maybe I'll get a sash for it too, but right now it's not fitting well enough to show you--I can take it off without even unzipping it! Guess there are downsides to dieting too!)

And while we're here, let's have a closer look at the ribbon flowers. My mom made all of these by hand, 23 on each shoe! In my next post I'll do a tutorial on how to make them, and how we attached them to the shoe (the ankle cuff of flowers is actually removable!).

Ahhhhh! I've been waiting so long to show you these, since it was late February when I actually decided to do DIY shoes. But like many DIY projects, they took a long time to complete! However, all the time spent (read: all the time my mom spent) was SO worth it, because these shoes meet my criteria of purple, jaw-dropping, amazing, “OMG I’ve never seen such unique shoes” just perfectly!

Would you consider DIY'ing decorations for shoes if you couldn't find the perfect wedding shoes to buy?

(all pictures in this post were taken by me)

3 comments:

  1. Love them! They are so unique and colorful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Gawwww! Those are beautiful! I knew it was going to be the Viktor & Rolf shoes that were the inspiration. So amazing! And congrats on sticking with the diet. I, on the other hand, have not fared so well. I need to get serious now that the six month mark has come and gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for dresses falling off!! I might be running into this problem soon too! I love the shoes and their purpley goodness...You are totally working them in those pics too :)

    ReplyDelete