Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Twist on Bridesmaid Bouquets

Almost a year ago, my mom found this awesome idea for unique bridesmaid bouquets on Project Wedding--making purses to carry the bouquets in! I was in love with the idea, since I enjoy purses almost as much as I do shoes!


{Source}

You can find the DIY tutorial here. For the longest time we planned on doing these purses, but in a lavender colored fabric and with green hydrangeas (we'll be using real flowers, not silk as in the tutorial), to pop against the bridesmaid's darker purple dresses.

But then my mom went and found even more inspiration for me to choose from!

In the floral arranging class she is taking in preparation of DIY'ing all my wedding flowers, a guest instructor showed off this cute flax leaf purse.


{photo source: taken by my mom}

I really liked this idea, since it was so different! However, it would be adding another last minute project to our list, considering it is made with real leaves that don't last for long. I would have also wanted to incorporate these leaves into something else, to tie it all together, but since we already have plans in place for all the other arrangements, that would be a problem as well.

Another idea my mom showed me was to make a purse with a corsage on the front, which my mom made for an assignment in her class. I don't have a picture of the one she made, but it was somewhat similar to this picture that Miss Argyle posted in her quest to find clutches for her ladies to carry instead of bouquets.


{Source}

This might be a good option for the mothers, instead of traditional corsages, since it would tie in nicely with the purse idea, but on a smaller scale than the bridesmaid flowers.

And finally, the most recent inspiration my mom sent was this purse, using ribbons and a pearl handle!


{Source}

I love how it ties in all the ribbons I've used in other projects, and since Little Sister Cola likes it the best of all the options, so I think this is what we'll be going with. But ours will have an ivory pearl handle, and lavender and chocolate colored ribbon. I think they are going end up looking great, and be so unique too!

But you'll just have to wait to see how they turn out, since I've got a whole backlog of DIY projects that need to be finished first! Including something involving 80 yards of ribbon and shoes....I know, I'm such a tease! ;)

Will your bridesmaids be carrying traditional bouquets, or will you be doing something different than the norm? And which of my mom's purse inspirations do you like the best?

No comments:

Post a Comment