Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How To: Origami Hearts/Flowers

As many girls do, I used to pass a lot of notes in school, and would always try to figure out cute ways to fold the notes. Someone long ago taught me how to fold 8.5 x 11 inch paper into a heart. Which of course I reserved for passing notes to only the cutest boys ;) ! And when you fold four, you can combine them into a flower!

(A single folded heart, photographed with my shoe-a-day calendar. All photos in this post were taken by me.)

I'm still trying to figure out a way to use these for our wedding, maybe to decorate the front of our out of town boxes? But in the meantime, I thought I'd share this little origami tutorial that I learned in 6th grade.

Start with an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper (or larger/smaller, as long as the aspect ratio is the same):


Fold up one side, so the bottom makes a point:

Open it back up:

Fold the other side up, making another point at the other bottom side:

Open it again:

Push the sides in where your folds criss-cross:

And flatten down to make the bottom have a center point:

You can see how I folded the sides in a little better from the opposite angle:

Next, fold down the front side flaps, so they are lined up with the point at the bottom:

Then, fold the upper sides in, so the angle lines up with the angle of the flaps you just folded down:

Flip it over:

And gently raise it up to make a faint crease where the bottom of the diamond shape is on the now bottom side:

Fold the bottom up so that the bottom is lined up with the faint crease you just made:

Where you just folded the bottom up, fold each half up to make a point at the center bottom (these will be the bottom of your heart):

Now fold the top triangle flap down over the bottom parts you just folded up:

And tuck the bottom flaps into the top flap you just folded down, to hold them in place:

Finally, fold the top two flaps down at about a 45 degree angle (these will be the top points of your heart), and tuck them under to hold them in place:

Flip it back over and you're done!

Fold three more, and you've got a flower:

I would recommend using a bone folder or the like to score your folds as you go for a flatter end result. This also works better with thinner card stock or text weight paper; heavy card stock would result in a much thicker heart.

Can you think of any other ways to incorporate this in a wedding, as either a heart or flower? Fold a giant one to use as an engagement photo prop? Fold a love note to give to your fiance on your wedding morning? String them up and hang as decor instead of bunting flags?

I would love to hear your ideas!

2 comments:

  1. No new ideas, but I love your suggestion of writing a love note to your FI to read on the morning of the wedding. That would be really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gaw. Somewhere in the attic of my parent's house is a box full of those notes!! Yep, I kept them--all the middle school aged silliness you, me, Duffy and Amanda seemed too precious to throw away.

    Loving the blog, girl. And gorg pic, btw!

    ReplyDelete