Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Woodside Wedding: The One Where We Walk (And I Almost Sprain My Ankle!)

It was time!

The guests had arrived and everything was ready to go. We lined up for the processional next to the bar just inside the lodge, and waited for our signal to start the long walk across the decks, down two sets of stairs, across the grass and down the aisle.

First, our officiant and good friend took his place in front of the arbor, which was the cue to our guests to take their seats.
(Guest photo)

We couldn't hear the guitar music from inside, but when our DOC made the gesture, we knew that our guitarist (who was also our DJ and is my sister's boyfriend) had started playing Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson.

First Mr. Cola's parents walked down the aisle (at least I think they did, but we don't have any pictures of it), followed by Mr. Cola.

Then it was time for my mom.
(Isn't her dress and jacket pretty? She made them herself!)

And then Groomsmen P and D, along with Bridesmaid A.

Followed by Groomsman A and Bridesmaid H.

Next it was our Best Man and Maid of Honor's turn.

Finally, it was my turn. While the others had started walking out, I'd begged the bartender for a glass of water, since I was still dying of thirst from the heat wave and the rush to clean my dress in time for the ceremony.

As our wedding party trickled outside, I was feeling like jumping up and down in excitement, paired with an out of body feeling, and oddly for once, all of a sudden nervous about being the center of attention. I couldn't believe it was finally happening!

And without much more time to think or process anything, Satellite by Dave Matthews started playing on the guitar, I got my cue to walk outside, and everyone stood up.


First I had to cross the decks and walk down the stairs, which was challenging in 4 1/2 inch heels and due to the fact that I couldn't see my feet under my dress. I definitely had to concentrate--the last thing I wanted to do was fall in front of everyone.

At the bottom of the lower set of stairs is where I barely avoided disaster. On the grass in front of the stairs there were some flat rocks embedded in the grass. Here, let me zoom in a little for you:

Well, as I walked across, one of the heels of my stilettos slipped off the edge of one of the rocks, and I nearly sprained my ankle! Luckily I have really good balance from years of wearing high heels, so I was able to not fall, just rolled my ankle. In fact, I'm not sure anyone even noticed my little slip!

(Right after slipping, all I could think was "Oh crap, did anyone see that?" Which you can totally see written all over my face in this picture. A poker face, I do not have!)

But I got it together quickly, and was determined to forget my slip, and continued my walk to the aisle.
(Guest photo)


When I reached the aisle, I let my dad hold onto my arm for balance so he didn't have to use his cane, and walked with him down the aisle.

Or...maybe kind of drug him down the aisle.

In the pictures it looks like we walked perfectly normally, but the way I remember it was that in my mind I was like "Lets go!" and sort of walked a half of a step impatiently ahead of my dad, because he walks slowly without his cane. What can I say, I was on a mission to get to the good part! :)

(Guest photo)


At the end of the aisle, I gave my dad a kiss and a hug, and took my place in front of the arbor. We didn't really do a traditional giving away of the bride, more like a "thanks so much for everything, see ya later!" kind of kiss on the cheek goodbye to my dad. Which was perfect for us.

My dad took his seat in the front row, I handed off my bouquet to my sister/MOH, and with that, it was time for the good part, our ceremony!

Miss any wedding week details? Catch up here:

- I packed an emergency bag that saved my dress

- We had a crazy 4 days prepping for house guests and stuffing favors
- Shopping for a ton of wedding flowers to arrange ourselves
- Mr. Cola drinks a 40 and I have a night out on the town for our low-key bach parties
- A day of DIY'ing flower arrangements
- I kicked off our official recaps with my #1 wedding tip
- We began the weekend festivities with a sunset cruise for our wedding party
- We rehearsed our quick and easy ceremony
- I panicked, but we got our rehearsal dinner decorations set up just in time
- Our families met for the first time at our rehearsal dinner under the trees

- What went wrong on our wedding day, and my tips for future brides
- My bridesmaids and I got our hair and makeup done in the hotel suite
- I put on my wedding dress and became a bride
- The guys watched the World Cup, then got ready in 10 minutes
- Traffic delayed our decorations getting to the venue, and I almost ruined our first look
- We got to see each other for the first time on our wedding day at our first look
- We took some time for bride and groom pictures in the park
- I gave you a behind the scenes look at our family, friends and DOC setting up our venue

- Arriving at our venue and getting ready for the ceremony to start

(Unless otherwise noted, all photos in this post were taken by the very talented photographers of Shoot Me Now Photography)

7 comments:

  1. Definitely didn't notice the trip! I love your "non-poker" face. My emotions are always written all over me face, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to hear about your ceremony! It's one of my favorite parts of brides' recaps! :)

    You look SO beautiful in all of these pictures and I love that your dad was still able to walk you down the aisle. The photos are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the ceremony decor! The ceremony arch and rose petal aisle is perfect! Your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I love your bouquet and all the flowers on the aisle. Preecious moment with your dad.......awwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you didn't really sprain your ankle! I was so worried about falling, but luckily, everything was fine. You looked so beautiful that I doubt anyone even noticed the little slip.

    I love the way you organized your processional, too, with Mr. Cola's parents coming down the aisle, follwed by him and then your mom. The groom and parents definitely deserve a little of the spotlight, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that guitarist sure looks hot!

    ReplyDelete