Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Michaels and My D'Oh! Moment

I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. I mean, I'm crafty, right? I always used to ace school projects, just give me poster board, some markers and some glue, and I could whip out a project like nothing. But that was in elementary school....

And I've been sewing since about 6th grade, when my mom got me a pattern to make a snappy vest (and who knew vests would be back in style now!). Over the years I've made skirts, halloween costumes, and more recently a slipcover for my couch.

But that's about it. I haven't really been crafty for years. And I'm wondering, is it like riding a bike, or did I lose some of my skills over the years?

I started wondering this when I went to Michael's Crafts this past weekend. {Source}

"Hi! I'm a bride and I'm ready to DIY anything I can get my hands on!" I thought to myself as I walked in the door. I had a long list of items to get, supplies for my STDs, card box, a glue gun for my napkin rings, etc. But then, I walked in the door, and it hit me. So. Much. Stuff....So. Many. Options.

Yikes!

So I grabbed a cart, shopping list in hand, and started going up and down each and every aisle, trying to get a lay of the land, figure out where stuff was, and TRY to not get distracted by every little....embellishments.....glitter paints.....things I did not need and had no business looking at. About two hours in, I had found most of the items on my list, and was only feeling slightly overwhelmed by the fact that I may very well be out of my element, trying to DIY things when I haven't done so in years. But then it came time to find a corner rounder.

That damn, elusive corner rounder! I had big plans for it for my STD cards, and I must find it today. On about my 10th trip around the store, I went down the aisle with all the punches again, and I swear, I looked at every one there! Corner punches with flowers, punches with paisleys, corner punches with every imaginable shape, but not a simple rounder. So I moved on, up and down the aisles and aisles of scrap booking supplies, and around the whole store again. Finally I came back to the punches aisle, determined to see if there was an empty hook, with promise of a restocking soon.

And then I found it. I literally slapped myself on the forehead and said a big Homer Simpson "D'oh!" out loud (luckily I was in the aisle by myself). Ladies, for any of you who haven't used one before, or have been out of your "crafty element" for years, this is what a plain and simple corner rounder looks like:
{Source}

OMG, I felt so dumb. But hey, I'd never seen or used one before. And after the hours of shopping in just one store, I could have been going a little cross-eyed.

So I left, $278.16 poorer, and feeling a little depressed. If I couldn't even find a stupid corner rounder in a craft store for hours, how was I going to be able to pull off all of these crafts I was planning? Well, I've got the supplies, and now it's time to find out!

Did you feel overwhelmed after your first visit to the craft store for wedding DIY supplies?

No comments:

Post a Comment